In 1896 John Morrison, a respected contractor of the time, built a baronial villa for himself in Pollokshields, namely, Sherbrooke Castle, designed by Thomson and Sandilands.
It is a good example of the type of house built by the middle class in the rather decadent late Victorian period and has a number of unusual features. The rooms are arranged around three sides of a large hall and staircase. The external Baronialism is, in some ways, an added romantic touch.
The house became a hotel just before World War II, during which it was commissioned by the Royal Navy and was used as a Radar training centre for Naval Officers. It returned to a hotel in 1945 and its high square tower is one of the best known local landmarks.